The district was situated between 78° 40' and 80° 05'E, of the eastern longitudes and 16° 25' and 17° 60'N, of northern latitudes.
The Boundaries of Nalgonda district are Krishna and Khammam districts in the East, Mahaboobnagar and Hyderabad districts in the West, Mahaboobnagar and Guntur districts in the South and Medak and Warangal districts in the North directions.
The district has population of 34,88,809 as per the 2011 census which accounts for 9.91% of the total population of the State with 7.41% decadal growth.
Nagarjuna Sagar Dam
Nagarjuna Sagar Dam is the world's largest masonry dam. It was built on the Krishna River at Nagarjuna Sagar in between Guntur district of Andhra Pradesh state and Nalgonda district of Telangana state, India. The construction duration of the dam was between the years of 1955 and 1967.
The dam created a water reservoir whose capacity is 11,472,000,000 cubic meters (4.051×1011 cu ft) . The dam is 490 feet (150 m) tall and 0.99 miles (1.6 km) long with 26 gates which are 42 feet (13 m) wide and 45 feet (14 m) tall.
Nagarjuna Sagar was the earliest in the series of large infrastructure projects initiated for the Green Revolution in India; it also is one of the earliest multi-purpose irrigation and hydro-electric projects in India. The dam provides irrigation water to the Nalgonda Khammam districts of Telangana, Prakasam, Krishna and Guntur districts of Andhra Pradesh along with electric power to the national grid. It holds second largest reservoir in India after Indira Sagar in Madhya Pradesh followed by Bhakra dam. It is the largest dam in India in terms of Length,1,550 meters.
Nagarjuna Sagar in an important Buddhist site located 150 kms from Hyderabad. The historic location takes its name from the Buddhist saint and scholar Acharya Nagarjuna who is said to have set up a centre of learning here. Today, Nagarjuna Sagar is home to Nagarjuna Sagar Dam - the world's tallest masonry dam that irrigates over 10 lakh acres of land.
It was during the building of the dam that the ruins of an ancient Buddhist civilization were excavated here. Some of the relics unearthed have been carefully preserved on a picturesque island called Nagarjuna Konda, located in the centre of a man-made lake.
Yadagirigutta Temple The area acquired its name and fame from a sage called Yadarishi, son of the great sage Rishyasrunga who did penance inside a cave with the blessings of Anjaneya on this hill between Bhongir and Raigiri in Nalgonda district. Pleased with his deep devotion, Lord Narasimha (an incarnation of Lord Vishnu) appeared before him in five different forms as Jwala, Yogananda, Gandabherunda, Ugra and Lakshminarasimha.
They later manifested themselves into finely sculpted forms that later came to be worshipped as Panchanarasimha Kshetram. As the legend goes, the Lord appeared first as Jwala Narasimha (Lord as a flame) , when Yadarishi was unable to face the intensity of this apparition, he appeared in a peaceful form as Yoganarasimha (Lord in a Yogic Padmasana posture with open palms on the knees) . Not satisfied with the Lord appearing alone, Yadarishi sought to see him with this consort, so he is said to have appeared with Lakshmi on his lap, known as Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy and as being worshipped by Alwars, his ardent devotees.