The present name of Khammam is derived its name after a local hill, which was called as 'Stambhadri'. The town was called with different names starting with Stambhadri, Kambhadri, Kambham mettu, Khammam mettu and then finally as Khammam.
Khammam town which was the seat of Taluk Administration was part of the larger Warangal District, till 1st October, 1953. Five taluks of the Warangal district viz., Khammam, Madhira, Yellandu, Burgampadu and Paloncha (Now Kothagudem) were carved out and a new district KHAMMAM with Khammam as District Headquarters.
The district was situated between 79° 47' and 80° 47'E, of the eastern longitudes and 16° 45' and 18° 35'N, of northern latitudes.
The Boundaries of Khammam district are East Godavari district in the East, Warangal and Nalgonda districts in the West, Krishna district in the South and Madhya Pradesh State borders in the North directions. The district has population of 27,97,370 as per the 2011 census which accounts for 7.95% of the total population of the State with 8.47% decadal growth.
The temple at Bhadrachalam has the Archa Murthys of Rama, Sita and Lakshmana and are considered to be Swayambhu (self-manifested ones) .
Lord Sri Rama appeared in a dream to a woman called Pokala Dammakka and informed her about the existence of vigrahas on Bhadragiri hills. To her surprise she found the "Vigraha's" and put up a modest structure. Dhammakka, cleared jungle and offered puja to the deities.
On 17 Nov 1959 the Bhadrachalam Revenue Division, consisting of Bhadrachalam and Nuguru Venkatapuram Taluks of East Godavari district were merged into the Khammam district through GO No 553. for geographical contiguity and administrative viability.